Just as it is vital to instill good habits of dental hygiene in young children to grow strong and healthy teeth, adults also need fluoride to prevent cavities. As people age, their gums often are removed, exposing the vulnerable roots of the teeth. This area of the tooth is not protected by the hard enamel, and is especially susceptible to tooth decay, which can lead to tooth loss in severe cases. In fact, more than two thirds of adults aged 35 to 44 have lost at least one permanent tooth due to decay.
Mouthwash for dry mouth and tooth decay
Dry mouth is another disease that affects many adults. Medications and other conditions may reduce the amount of saliva produced by your body, which can result in an uncomfortable condition known as xerostomia .Xerostomia can lead to bad breath and oral discomfort and, in some cases, can lead to infections in the teeth. Dentists often recommend that patients with dry mouth or who are prone to cavities use a mouthwash without alcohol. The anti-cavity mouth rinse or elixir form part of a comprehensive program to protect the mouth against tooth decay and dry mouth.
Fast and efficient
Rinsing is one of the fastest and easy to keep your teeth healthy and strong and get a good ways dental cleaning. Used daily along with brushing and flossing, mouthwash can deliver the power of removal of bacteria on the surfaces of teeth to help prevent tooth decay, strengthen tooth enamel and protect roots teeth.
These some of the benefits you will get if you use mouthwash and brush plus floss.
- Removes bacteria
- Protects against caries
- Eliminates bad breath
- Sensation of coolness
Myths about Mouthwash
- All mouthwashes are equal. This is false because the composition of each is different. They come with and without alcohol and each offers some distinct benefits.
- Mouthwashes are harmless. False: Many mouthwashes contain a high amount of alcohol. This can cause dry mouth, which ironically is one of the causes of bad breath, and irritate oral tissues.
- Cure bad breath. The mouthwash can help you have fresh breath but not a permanent solution.
- Mouthwash replaces brushing. False is a complement.
- Only a few gargles. You need to keep the elixir at least 30 seconds in the mouth.
Depending on the brand, the amount of rinse and place of purchase, price mouthwashes typically range from 4 years 15$.